A Canadian Christian ministry
to bring God’s Love and
Truth to the neediest
“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.”
(Matthew 5:23 NIV)
“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”
(Matthew 6:12 NIV)
OVERCOMING GENDER BASED VIOLENCE
AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING (Cont’d)
(Acts 2:44 & 1 John 3:18)
It is urgent for the Church to intervene and stand up against the evil of rape, Gender Based Violence and Human Trafficking. It is the Church mission, from Old to New Testaments, to “lose the chains of injustice” (7) because “anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins” (8) .
UBUNTU Strategy is aimed at preventing, supporting and caring for the victims of Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Human Trafficking (HT) at all levels.
J&E sets up a Task Force to:
· Initiate the UBUNTU Strategy and assist local congregations and Christian ministries in setting up and equipping Anti Gender Based Violence and Human Trafficking Units A.GBV.HT (already started in Eastern DR Congo and in the U.S.).
· Act in synergy with Christian prosecutors, judges, lawyers, police, army, civil authorities and civil society, to sensitize and mobilize their peers about GBV.HT.
· Advocate with Christian lawyers, civil society and the media to improve the fate of the victims, increase prevention, fight against impunity, and improve the legal framework.
UBUNTU Strategy starts with the Church and all its members, with their gifts and skills (9) . If they are all mobilized, they will make a sustainable difference and God’s Word in Isaiah 58:6ff will become a visible reality. Together we can break the wall of silence and shame.
The following are examples of what at least should be done in each congregation.
When someone is in need, “if one of you says to him ‘Go, I wish you well, keep warm and well fed’, but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by actions, is dead.” (10)
A Anti Gender Based Violence and Human Trafficking Unit (A.GBV.HT.) per church, a One-Stop Desk available all day co-ordinates the fight against GBV.HT, alerts police and hospitals, sensitizes and mobilizes the congregation and the community, and involves Men, Women, Youth and other ministries to do the following:
· Set up Temporary Emergency Shelters in church and in Christian homes, available all times.
· Identify the victims in the church and its surrounding communities, and provide spiritual, medical, economic and legal support.
· Provide general awareness (sports and arts events, conferences and information meetings, with schools and universities, medical facilities, and civil authorities, etc.).
· Implement specific preventive activities (after school programs, one on one sessions, screening and shielding, etc.).
Stigmatization and rejection are contrary to God’s message of love. The entire congregation is meant to break the wall of shame, fear and silence, and give unconditional love to the victims.
· Core teachings are shared with all church members about: gender equality and the role of men, women, elders and youth, God’s pattern for the Body of Christ, true relationships between husbands and wives, parenting, Christians’ involvement in society, governance and true justice, corruption and impunity, etc.
· Intercession groups, deliverance and healing sessions are set up for the victims and their family.
The parable of the Good Samaritan was not just about giving only blessings, but also about taking care of the wounds.
· Church members trained in the medical field, medical doctors, nurses, and paramedics are to intervene gratuitously to heal, support, counsel, and facilitate access to medicine and treatment.
· The church should send the victims to hospitals and treatment facilities as soon as possible, and ask for a HIV test.
(7) Isaiah 58:6, NIV.
(8) James 4:17, NIV.
(9) Acts 2:44.
(10) James 2:16-17.
“Love goes with service”
“It is urgent for the Church to intervene and stand up”
“The entire congregation is meant to break the wall of shame, fear and silence”
“Give unconditional love to the victims”
“God’s justice not just in courts”